In early March, I was excited to learn about a new course from Sporty’s that focuses on modern autopilots. I finally got a chance to watch the video and share some of my thoughts.
The new Sporty’s video short course titled Pilot’s Guide to Modern Autopilots highlights some of the differences, and similarities, of both the Garmin GFC-700 and the S-Tec 55X; two of the most popular autopilots in airplanes today.
- Good screen shots of the various APs in action
- Points out several lesser known functions on both systems
- Provides real world flight examples using both systems in VFR & IFR conditions
- The video was shot Standard-Defintion (SD) with a 4:3 aspect ratio
- The pace is fast, you’ll want to view this a couple of times to catch everything
Bottom line, this video is a great addition to your ground reference materials. It has the standard Sporty’s price tag, but contains lots of good info. It is available for $29.95 on DVD or download at Sporty’s Web Site.
As a pilot of the Garmin G1000 system for several years now, (I still don’t know how I ever put up with the KAP140) I still learned several things about GFC-700. Let me know what you think!
Editorial Note: An evaluation copy of this course was provided to pilotmikekc.com